However, Some Distortions of Facts Claimed
Denial of Planned Crime and Use of Weapon in First Offense
Kang Yoon-seong (56), who is accused of murdering two women before and after damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet), is being transferred to the prosecution from the Songpa Police Station in Seoul on the 7th of last month. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@
[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] Kang Yoon-sung (56), who was indicted for damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet) and murdering two women, admitted to the charges at his first trial. However, he claimed that some facts were distorted.
The Seoul Eastern District Court Criminal Division 12 (Presiding Judge Park Sang-gu) held the first hearing on the 14th morning for Kang, who was charged with a total of seven offenses including robbery-murder, murder, fraud, obstruction of official duties, violation of the Specialized Credit Finance Business Act, violation of the Telecommunications Business Act, and violation of the Act on Electronic Monitoring Devices.
On that day, Kang’s defense attorney stated, "We admit all the charges." Kang himself said, "I admit," but argued that the crimes were not premeditated and that he did not use a weapon when killing the first victim, A. Kang said, "I have never searched for how to kill a person nor do I know how to do it," adding, "I didn’t stab her; I just touched her with the tip of the weapon because I didn’t know if she was dead or just pretending to be unconscious."
Kang testified that he was in a romantic relationship with the second victim, B, and that he purchased a mobile phone using A’s credit card to repay money, then sold it and gave 4.1 million won.
Kang expressed hope that the prosecution would not proceed with the full statement procedure since he admitted all charges, but the court ordered the prosecution to read the indictment for minimal confirmation purposes.
Furthermore, Kang said, "Regarding the part of the killing, I admit it so much that I do not want the indictment to be read regardless of the reason," and added, "I am prepared not to raise any objections even if sentenced to death." Kang kept his head bowed throughout the trial and choked up while giving his statement.
Earlier last month, Kang wrote a letter to his lawyer saying, "Only a death sentence is the last chance to sincerely apologize even a little to the bereaved families," and "I sincerely ask you not to defend me in any way." He also wrote, "I know my horrific crimes so well that I think no further defense is necessary," and "This serious criminal is not living because he is okay, but only enduring because he cannot take his own life."
Meanwhile, Kang was detained and indicted on charges of murdering two women on August 26 and 29. The prosecution believes he planned the crimes due to economic reasons. According to the integrated psychological analysis by the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office, Kang was found to have psychopathic tendencies.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

