본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Joint Burial Ceremony for 6·25 War Fallen Soldiers at National Cemetery

Joint Burial Ceremony for 6·25 War Fallen Soldiers at National Cemetery


[Asia Economy Military Specialist Yang Nak-gyu]A joint burial ceremony for the remains of three Korean War soldiers, including the late Corporal Ban Cheol-hwan, was held at the National Daejeon National Cemetery.


According to the Army on the 22nd, the fallen soldiers laid to rest were Corporal Ban, whose remains were excavated in 2016 from an unnamed hill in Seohwa-ri, Inje-gun, Gangwon Province; the late Private Jeon Won-sik, whose remains were recovered in 2015 from Mokdong-ri, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi Province; and the late Private Son Jung-chul, whose remains were excavated in 2009 from Suseokbong, Jidong-ri, Pohang, Gyeongbuk Province.


The identities of the deceased were confirmed through DNA information provided by the families who participated in the DNA sampling conducted by the Ministry of National Defense's Remains Excavation and Identification Team.

Born in 1924 in Sangju, Gyeongbuk, as the fifth of six children (four sons and two daughters), Corporal Ban enlisted in March 1951 at the age of 27.


He went to war leaving behind his wife, who was pregnant with their second child at the time, and never got to see his youngest daughter’s face. He died in battle on August 24, 1951, during the Nojeonpyeong fight. His youngest daughter, Ban Kyung-ah (71), said, "Finding my father was so wonderful that I couldn’t sleep. Growing up, it was hardest when people said I was a child without a father, but now I can proudly say that my father exists and that he died for our country."


Private Jeon was born in 1925 in Cheongdo, Gyeongbuk, as the third of seven children (six sons and one daughter). He went to war on February 4, 1951, at the age of 26, leaving behind his wife and two-year-old daughter, and died in the battle in the Gapyeong area of Gyeonggi Province.


His younger brother, Jeon Chun-sik (83), said, "I am very grateful to those who found my brother’s remains. Our descendants will be proud, but it pains me to think of my brother who worked hard all his life and died in the military."


Private Son was born in 1930 in Andong, Gyeongbuk, as the eldest of six children (three sons and three daughters). He went to war on November 4, 1950, at the age of 20, leaving behind his wife and young son just over a year after getting married. He died in the battle in the Pohang area.


His son, Son Tae-gyu (73), said, "I was half in doubt whether the remains that had been missing for 70 years could be found, but I participated in the family DNA sampling and was happy to hear that my father’s remains were found. I think of my mother who never remarried and spent her life longing for my father," wiping away tears.


Army Chief of Staff Nam Young-shin, during the burial ceremony, said, "The peace and prosperity of the Republic of Korea are thanks to the noble sacrifices of the patriotic spirits who gave their lives defending the homeland," and added, "We will forever remember the dedication and passionate patriotism of our predecessors."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top