Beaten Until Covered in Bruises Upon Entering Elementary School
School Violence Committee and Education Office Report 'No Action'
School Reports Facts as They Are to Education Office
Victim Exists but No Perpetrator... Parents Plan Legal Action
The victim student's body. Bruises and wounds can be seen here and there. Photo by Seunggon Han hsg@asiae.co.kr / Provided by the victim's parents
[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] "Mom, I don't want to go to school."
A first-grade elementary school girl who just started school was assaulted at school and received a two-week medical diagnosis. The victim, A, who has bruises all over her body, is suffering from severe emotional anxiety.
The education office responsible for reviewing school violence cases has currently issued a "no school violence action" decision. There is a victim, but no perpetrator.
The victim student's parents filed a formal complaint with the police, criticizing the school and education office's inadequate response, and have taken legal action with a school violence specialist lawyer. The school stated that there is nothing they can do regarding the education office's decision.
According to a report compiled by Asia Economy on the 10th, A, who attends an elementary school in Seoul, was physically and verbally abused by classmates B and C until March 30, after the entrance ceremony. These students forcibly demanded some of A's clothes, hairpins, pencil case, and bag doll keychain, saying they were pretty.
They also continuously bullied her by hitting her chest, stomach, and sides, and even splashing water on A's face.
This was revealed when A cried and told her mother that "school is not fun" and "I don't want to go," showing changed behavior. Later, A's mother realized that the bruises on her daughter's body were caused by school violence. According to medical examination, A was diagnosed with chest contusions and hemorrhagic contusions on both lower legs, requiring two weeks of rest.
A's parents said, "The two-week diagnosis was given, and when we examined the child's body, there were faint bruises on the stomach, back, sides, and legs, and the child showed many behavioral changes. One of the perpetrators kept asking for the bag doll keychain, and the child cried with worry, saying 'If I don't give it, they will hit me again' and 'They hit harder,' so we realized there was violence."
Currently, A is suffering from severe emotional instability. She exhibits behaviors never seen before entering elementary school, such as hitting her pet dog and laughing, or suddenly hitting her older brother and crying.
The education office held a school violence committee meeting to review the case but decided on no school violence action due to lack of objective evidence and notified the parents.
Ultimately, A, who was suffering from severe anxiety and refusing to attend school, returned to school last month after the education office's decision, but suffered further assault from the student identified as the perpetrator, effectively experiencing secondary victimization. Additionally, according to the parents, during the education office's school violence committee review, the child was asked to reenact the situation, causing her to suffer post-traumatic stress (trauma) as another form of harm.
In summary, A was assaulted after entering elementary school in March, receiving a two-week medical diagnosis, but due to lack of evidence, the education office issued a no-action decision. She returned to school but was assaulted again, enduring continuous bullying over three months. Ultimately, the parents filed a police report and pursued legal action.
The school stated that there is nothing they can do about the education office's decision. A school official explained in a phone interview with Asia Economy regarding the controversy over the school's inadequate response, "The education office held a school violence committee meeting and issued a 'no action' decision. Therefore, there is no student who can be identified as the perpetrator. We cannot take protective measures. However, we have stationed a protection officer in front of the classroom to be on standby."
Regarding the homeroom teacher's complacent response, the official said, "When the problem first occurred, we provided related education to the students and explained the situation to the parents of the student identified as the perpetrator, instructing them not to approach the victim student." He added, "The school also rearranged seating and arranged for the perpetrator's closest friend to accompany them as a response."
Regarding apologies from the parents of the students identified as perpetrators, the official said, "The school must remain neutral for now," but added, "Regarding the previous school violence allegations, the parents said 'Our child doesn't remember well,' which led to the education office's no-action decision. However, in the recent (May) situation, they expressed that they 'feel sorry.' However, the victim's parents have not been contacted separately, which is the current situation." He emphasized again that "there is nothing the school can do about the education office's no-action decision."
Currently, the victim student's parents are preparing legal action. The parents said, "We have filed a police report and are preparing legal action with a school violence specialist lawyer. There is consistent testimony from the child about the assault, and above all, a clear medical diagnosis, so many find the education office's no-action result puzzling," adding, "We plan to request a reconsideration."
They continued, "The school violence incidents were dismissed by the education office as no action, and the perpetrators and their parents treated it as if nothing happened. They bullied the victim again after she returned to school, despite witnesses, and claim these incidents happened coincidentally or spontaneously. There has been no apology," expressing frustration. They also appealed, "Above all, the child has been hurt in many ways through this incident, and it breaks our hearts."
The school plans to hold an internal dedicated committee meeting on the 10th.
Meanwhile, an education office official said regarding this matter, "We have nothing further to comment."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.
!["The Woman Who Threw Herself into the Water Clutching a Stolen Dior Bag"...A Grotesque Success Story That Shakes the Korean Psyche [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
