Daily Cases Reach 731 with Rising Concerns of 4th Wave
"Considering Social Distancing Upgrade After Monitoring This Week's Situation"
Uncertainty in Vaccine Plans Following US Janssen Suspension
[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Ji-hee] The number of domestic COVID-19 confirmed cases exceeded 700 per day again after six days. After maintaining the 500 range for two consecutive days until the previous day, the number quickly rose to the 700 range as the effect of reduced testing over the weekend disappeared.
The Central Disease Control Headquarters announced on the 14th at midnight that the number of new domestic COVID-19 confirmed cases increased by 731, bringing the total to 111,419. The number of locally transmitted cases was counted at 714, the highest in 98 days since January 7 (832 cases). Recently, the number of confirmed cases during weekdays has shown a pattern of increasing by more than 200 compared to the beginning of the week. Last week, the cases surged from 473 on Monday (5th) to 700 on Thursday (8th). If this trend continues, there is a possibility that the number of confirmed cases could approach 800 in a single day this week.
Various indicators still point to the spread of the epidemic. The proportion of 'hidden infected persons,' who are potential sources of infection in the metropolitan area, also approaches 30% of all confirmed cases. On this day, 140 people were confirmed in bulk at temporary screening clinics in the metropolitan area. Kwon Deok-cheol, the first head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters, expressed concern, saying, "The reproduction number of infection exceeds 1.12, and all indicators point to the seriousness of the situation," adding, "Cluster infections are spreading from multi-use facilities such as entertainment venues, churches, and academies to families, workplaces, and schools."
For now, the quarantine authorities plan to observe the trend of the COVID-19 epidemic this week and then consider adjusting social distancing levels and business hour restrictions. Yoon Tae-ho, head of the Central Accident Response Headquarters' quarantine team, said at the regular COVID-19 briefing on the same day, "Wednesday is the first day when the effect of reduced testing over the weekend disappears, so from Wednesday to Saturday, the increase in the number of patients is clearly noticeable," adding, "It seems necessary to comprehensively assess the situation this week and review adjustments to social distancing, quarantine measures, and strengthening of quarantine rules together."
Amid the rapid spread of COVID-19, on the 14th, when the number of new confirmed cases surged to the 700s, citizens lined up for testing at the temporary screening center at Seoul Station in Jung-gu, Seoul. According to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters, as of midnight that day, the number of new COVID-19 confirmed cases was counted at 731, an increase of 189 from the previous day (542). Photo by Kim Hyun-min kimhyun81@
The authorities judge that the current medical response system has relatively more capacity compared to the previous third wave. Yoon emphasized, "Along with the number of confirmed cases, it is also important to consider how much capacity the medical system has to respond, especially the number of severe cases," adding, "Compared to the third wave, the number of severe cases is currently being managed at a very low level."
On the other hand, a point of concern is that the fourth wave started with 300 to 400 cases per day. Yoon said, "Until mid-November, the core number of patients was at the 100 range, but since the baseline number of patients is higher in the fourth wave, many experts point out that there is a possibility of the scale increasing further," adding, "We are making efforts to prevent the fourth wave from becoming larger."
Meanwhile, concerns are growing that the vaccine supply plan will face setbacks as time goes by. The AstraZeneca vaccine was temporarily suspended due to blood clot formation controversy but recently resumed for those aged 30 and above. However, now the Janssen vaccine from Johnson & Johnson (J&J) in the U.S. is facing similar controversy. On the 13th (local time), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended suspending the use of the Janssen vaccine based on six cases of 'rare but serious' blood clots occurring in vaccine recipients. The Janssen vaccine is scheduled to be introduced domestically for 6 million people starting in the second quarter.
Baek Young-ha, head of the vaccine introduction team, explained, "Regarding the suspension of the Janssen vaccine in the U.S., the domestic introduction plan has not been changed yet," adding, "We plan to continuously monitor this issue with the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency and check safety."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

![Clutching a Stolen Dior Bag, Saying "I Hate Being Poor but Real"... The Grotesque Con of a "Human Knockoff" [Slate]](https://cwcontent.asiae.co.kr/asiaresize/183/2026021902243444107_1771435474.jpg)
