본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

US to Reinforce Troops in Germany; Withdrawal from Afghanistan by September 11

US to Reinforce Troops in Germany; Withdrawal from Afghanistan by September 11 [Image source=Reuters Yonhap News]

[Asia Economy New York=Correspondent Baek Jong-min] The Biden administration in the United States has reversed the decision made by the Trump administration to reduce U.S. troops stationed in Germany and has decided to increase the number. President Biden is reportedly set to announce the withdrawal of U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan by September 11, the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.


On the 13th (local time), U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, who is visiting Germany along with Secretary of State Tony Blinken, stated that 500 additional U.S. troops will be deployed to Germany, according to AP News.


Secretary Austin said, "I am pleased to announce the increase of U.S. troops stationed in Germany," adding, "This force will strengthen deterrence and defense in Europe, enhance our existing capabilities to prevent physical conflict, and if necessary, fight and win."


Former President Trump expressed dissatisfaction with Germany's defense cost-sharing last July and announced plans to reduce about 12,000 of the 36,000 U.S. troops stationed in Germany.


However, President Biden announced in February, shortly after taking office, that he would review the global deployment of U.S. troops and would halt the reduction of U.S. troops in Germany during the review period.


Separately, U.S. media reported that President Biden is expected to announce the withdrawal of U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan by September 11 on the same day.


Earlier, President Biden had indicated last month that the original withdrawal deadline of May 1 would not be met and said he would decide after consulting with allies.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


Join us on social!

Top