본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

"Punish Jo Doo-sun" Controversy Over 'Private Punishment,' What Do You Think? [Han Seung-gon's Incident Notebook]

Citizens Support 'Youth Who Went to Jo Doo-sun's House with a Weapon'
Legal Punishment Completed and Released, Controversy Over 'Private Punishment'
Jo Doo-sun Couple Pass Welfare Benefit Review... Receiving 1.2 Million Won Monthly

"Punish Jo Doo-sun" Controversy Over 'Private Punishment,' What Do You Think? [Han Seung-gon's Incident Notebook] Child sex offender Jo Doo-soon (68), who was released after serving his sentence on December 12 last year. Photo by Yonhap News


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] A man in his 20s who went to the home of child sex offender Jo Doo-soon carrying a weapon has been arrested by the police, and voices supporting his actions are emerging. On the other hand, while some understand his feelings, there are opinions that it is still a crime, sparking controversy over the so-called 'private punishment of Jo Doo-soon.'


The Danwon Police Station in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province, announced on the 11th that they have booked and are investigating 20-year-old Kim on charges of trespassing without detention. Kim is suspected of attempting to enter Jo Doo-soon's house in Ansan City around 5 p.m. on the 9th carrying a bag containing a weapon.


According to the police, an officer on duty at the guard post noticed Kim opening the main entrance of the villa where Jo lives and tried to stop him.


After confirming Kim's residence, the police found that he was not from Ansan City, Gyeonggi Province, and discovered the weapon in his bag during a search, leading to his arrest as a suspect caught in the act.


During the police investigation, Kim reportedly stated, "Life has no meaning. I think avenging Jo Doo-soon will give my life value." At the time, Jo Doo-soon was believed to be inside the house.


Reactions to Kim's actions include comments such as "I understand," "I sympathize," and "It feels refreshing." A man in his 40s, Mr. Kim, a company employee, said, "I heard about it through the news," adding, "Considering what Jo Doo-soon did, I think he could have done even worse things."


Another office worker in his 30s, Mr. Park, said, "It's not that I condone the crime Kim committed, but because there is so much anger toward Jo Doo-soon, many voices are supporting Kim."


"Punish Jo Doo-sun" Controversy Over 'Private Punishment,' What Do You Think? [Han Seung-gon's Incident Notebook] The official vehicle carrying child sex offender Jo Doo-soon, who was released after serving his sentence, was blocked by some citizens and YouTubers while leaving the Ansan Probation Center of the Ministry of Justice in Ansan-si, Gyeonggi-do on the morning of December 12 last year. [Image source=Yonhap News]


On the other hand, there are opinions that Kim's actions are ultimately a crime. Additionally, some hold a passive view that Jo Doo-soon has already paid his dues, and such punishment is private, not legal. Mr. Lee, a man in his 40s, said, "It's not that I support Jo Doo-soon, but in the end, Kim's actions are a crime," adding, "It's unfortunate, but I don't think I can support his actions."


Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that Jo Doo-soon receives welfare benefits amounting to about 1.2 million KRW per month, making social outrage surrounding him inevitable for the time being.


Jo Doo-soon and his spouse applied for basic livelihood security benefits at the end of last month and were granted eligibility after review. As a result, since the end of last month, the couple has been receiving a total of about 1.2 million KRW monthly in welfare benefits, including △ basic pension of 300,000 KRW, △ livelihood benefits of about 620,000 KRW for two people, and △ housing benefits of about 260,000 KRW.


In particular, the couple reportedly received some retroactive welfare benefits for December of last year after the application date while receiving the January benefits at the end of last month.


As the fact that Jo Doo-soon, who committed a horrific crime, is receiving various supports funded by taxpayers became known, a petition was posted on the Blue House National Petition Board demanding that basic livelihood support payments not be given to Jo Doo-soon.


The petitioner said, "I heard the shocking news that Jo Doo-soon applied for basic livelihood security at the community service center, and if approved, about 1.2 million KRW will be paid monthly as support," adding, "As a fellow citizen, I feel ashamed that such a shameless and monstrous person is receiving national tax money, and I think it is a waste of taxes."


He continued, "Jo Doo-soon committed an unimaginable evil act, and because of that, a family has to live with an unhealable wound for life. But giving him 1.2 million KRW every month is unacceptable," emphasizing, "Whether it is basic livelihood security or old-age pension, benefits should only go to those who have paid various taxes by deducting from their income when they are economically capable." The petitioner especially urged, "I hope the administration will work properly so that this does not happen and the public does not get angry."


Meanwhile, the city reportedly concluded that Jo Doo-soon is an elderly person over 65 years old with no working ability, and although his spouse is under 65, she suffers from chronic illnesses and employment difficulties, and since they do not own a house, there is no reason to exclude them from receiving welfare benefits.


A city official stated, "Basic pensions and livelihood benefits for basic livelihood security recipients must be paid if the legal criteria are met and cannot be withheld."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top