본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

[Full Text] Yoo Si-min "Prosecutors Did Not Monitor Roh Foundation Accounts... Will Review All Statements"

"Dragging Roh Moo-hyun Foundation into Political Strife with Unprovable Allegations"
"I Will Reflect on My Words and Actions"

[Full Text] Yoo Si-min "Prosecutors Did Not Monitor Roh Foundation Accounts... Will Review All Statements" Yoo Si-min, Chairman of the People Living Together Foundation of the Roh Moo-hyun Foundation / Photo by YouTube Broadcast Capture


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] Yoo Si-min, chairman of the People’s Livelihood Foundation (Noh Moo-hyun Foundation), apologized regarding his past allegations of the prosecution’s surveillance of the foundation’s bank accounts, stating, "I have determined that it was not true."


On the 22nd, Yoo posted on the official website of the Noh Moo-hyun Foundation, saying, "I had raised suspicions that the prosecution might have accessed the foundation’s financial transaction information."


He continued, "I sincerely apologize to all those involved in the prosecution for causing suspicion that they surveilled me based on unfounded allegations," and added, "I will humbly accept any form of responsibility or inquiry."


Yoo also extended his apology to the foundation’s supporters. He admitted, "By raising unprovable suspicions, I dragged the foundation into a political confrontation. This was an act contrary to the chairman’s duty to strive to be a broad-minded leader who, like the sea that embraces all rivers, wins the hearts of the people, as President Noh Moo-hyun did."


Yoo emphasized, "We all must form opinions based on facts under any circumstances. Raising suspicions without clear factual support distorts the process of public opinion formation. I will reflect on all my words and actions related to this matter."


[Full Text] Yoo Si-min "Prosecutors Did Not Monitor Roh Foundation Accounts... Will Review All Statements" Chairman Yoo appeared on the YouTube show "Alileo" in December 2019 and claimed that the prosecution might have looked into the account of the Roh Moo-hyun Foundation. / Photo by YouTube broadcast capture


Previously, on December 24, 2019, Yoo claimed on the YouTube broadcast 'Alileo' that "I confirmed that the prosecution looked into the Noh Moo-hyun Foundation’s bank accounts between November and December," and added, "I suspect they conducted background checks on me. It is highly likely they also looked into my personal account and my wife’s account."


Subsequently, on June 23 of last year, the Noh Moo-hyun Foundation filed a complaint with the prosecution requesting confirmation on whether the prosecution had accessed the foundation’s account information and whether notification was deferred.


On July 6 of the same year, the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office responded that "no account inquiries regarding the Noh Moo-hyun Foundation were confirmed at any prosecution office nationwide."


However, Yoo continued to raise suspicions about the account surveillance afterward.


In an interview with 'Sisa Journal' in August last year, he pointed out, "There is a big difference between 'not confirmed' and 'there is no such fact' from the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office," and said, "I don’t understand why it is so difficult for the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office to verify with Kookmin Bank whether the foundation’s accounts were accessed."


He added, "The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office commands the entire prosecution, so regardless of which district prosecutor’s office or agency made the inquiry, the information would have arrived at the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office. Our main bank is Kookmin Bank Seogang Branch, and the documents are stored there. If they feel wronged, they can check with the bank, but they only replied that it was not confirmed."


At that time, however, he also said, "If I am suspected and criticized for something that did not happen, and if they feel wronged, they should verify the facts and reprimand me."


The following is the full text of the apology statement released by Chairman Yoo:


On December 24, 2019, I raised suspicions on the YouTube broadcast 'Alileo' that the prosecution might have accessed the foundation’s financial transaction information at some point between late November and early December 2019. Everyone has the right to raise suspicions, but when exercising that right, one must bear the responsibility to prove them. However, I failed to prove the suspicions I raised. I have determined that those suspicions were not true.


First and foremost, I sincerely apologize to all those involved in the prosecution for causing suspicion that they surveilled me based on unfounded allegations. I do not think an apology alone is sufficient, and I will humbly accept any form of responsibility or inquiry.


I apologize to the supporters of the Noh Moo-hyun Foundation. By raising unprovable suspicions, I dragged the foundation into a political confrontation. This was an act contrary to the chairman’s duty to strive to be a broad-minded leader who, like the sea that embraces all rivers, wins the hearts of the people, as President Noh Moo-hyun did. I ask for the forgiveness of the supporters.


I bow my head and apologize to the citizens who encountered the suspicions I raised through the 'Alileo' broadcast and media reports. Opinions on the prosecution reform policies promoted by the government and ruling party, or related actions by the prosecution, may vary from person to person. However, we all must form opinions based on facts under any circumstances. Raising suspicions without clear factual support distorts the process of public opinion formation.


Regarding this matter, I have reflected on all my words and actions. I acted beyond the limits of criticism and behaved like a party to a political dispute. I demonized opposing parties and completely distrusted the words of public prosecutors. I was consumed by excessive emotional hostility and fell into logical confirmation bias. I failed to maintain a critical distance from my own thoughts and feelings. I interpreted fragmentary information and opaque situations in only one direction, raising suspicions without carefully considering the possibility of proof or having sufficient factual basis.


As someone whose profession involves handling words and writing, I believe this was a fundamental breach. I cannot share responsibility with anyone nor make any excuses. I am deeply ashamed. I apologize once again from the bottom of my heart.


I will accept all criticism regarding my mistakes. I stopped political criticism in April last year. I will no longer engage in any political commentary on current affairs.


January 22, 2021

Yoo Si-min


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


Join us on social!

Top