"Safety First"... Possible Changes Including Reduced Audience Size
[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Hyunjin] Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), stated that the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, which were postponed once due to the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), are scheduled to be held this July as planned, according to a report by Japan's Kyodo News on the 21st.
In a recent exclusive video interview with Kyodo News, President Bach said, "At this point, there is no reason to believe that the Tokyo Olympics will not open on July 23," adding, "This is why there is no 'Plan B' and why we are committed to conducting the Olympic Games safely and successfully."
The interview took place about six months before the Tokyo Olympics are set to begin. As the spread of COVID-19 has not been contained recently in Japan, various opinions such as further postponement, holding the games without spectators, or cancellation have emerged. Japan postponed the Olympics by one year last year, four months before the event, when COVID-19 spread globally in early 2020.
However, President Bach mentioned that there may be "sacrifices" to prevent COVID-19 infections, including the possibility of reducing the number of spectators. He said, "As I have said before, the top priority is safety," and emphasized that the IOC must maintain a flexible attitude regarding this.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.


