본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

COVID-19 Emergency... Ministry of Education Says "For Now, We Proceed"

490,000 Gather on Suneung Day, Spread Concerns
Calls for Postponement Resurface Amid Explosive Spread

Burden of Rescheduling Exam One Week Prior
Exam Postponed One Day Before Due to Pohang Earthquake

COVID-19 Emergency... Ministry of Education Says "For Now, We Proceed" On the 26th, one week before the 2021 College Scholastic Ability Test, Yoo Eun-hye, Deputy Prime Minister for Social Affairs and Minister of Education, announced a public appeal regarding the CSAT at the Government Seoul Office in Jongno-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@


[Asia Economy Reporter Hyunju Lee] With the College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT) scheduled for the 3rd of next month just a week away, the education authorities are facing increasing concerns. Considering the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), a decision on whether to postpone or proceed with the CSAT must be made by the end of this week at the latest. Previously, the Ministry of Education had stated that even if social distancing is raised to level 3, there would be no further postponement of the CSAT. On the 26th, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Yoo Eun-hye made a public appeal ahead of the CSAT, which also indicated a leaning towards proceeding as planned.


However, as the COVID-19 situation rapidly changes, calls for postponing the CSAT are growing. A petition demanding the postponement of the CSAT has recently reappeared on the Blue House's public petition website. The petitioner argued, "The government is pushing students into the most vulnerable places for COVID-19," and insisted, "The test should be delayed by at least two weeks to observe the situation."


The Ministry of Education plans to make thorough preparations amid concerns that the CSAT could trigger a COVID-19 outbreak. First, on the day before the exam, students will be given priority access to screening tests. Strict quarantine measures will be enforced to prevent confirmed or self-quarantined students from entering regular test centers and causing infections. Separate testing rooms have also been set up within test centers to accommodate students who develop symptoms on the day of the exam. Supervisors in these rooms will wear protective equipment.


However, with approximately 490,000 students staying in the same space from morning to afternoon and even sharing lunch, the risk of infectious disease spread at test centers is very high. Moreover, since university-specific evaluations such as interviews and essay tests are scheduled after the CSAT, vigilance cannot be relaxed. The issue of large numbers of students flocking to busy downtown areas after the exam is beyond the control of the education authorities.


Meanwhile, the number of newly confirmed student cases has recorded double digits daily over the past week. As of the 25th, 213 schools across 11 cities and provinces have adjusted their in-person class schedules, the highest since September 18. The government has designated a "CSAT Special Quarantine Period" for two weeks starting from the 19th, but new confirmed cases are increasing even faster.


The Ministry of Education announced that it will operate a "Student Safety Special Period" until the 31st of next month, strengthening guidance and patrols at various facilities. In coordination with related agencies, quarantine management will focus on facilities with high student access, and measures to prevent infectious diseases will be implemented. With only a week left before the CSAT, postponing the exam schedule again is a burdensome matter for the education authorities. Of course, there has been a postponement one day before the CSAT before. On November 15, 2017, an earthquake occurred in Pohang, and the exam scheduled for the 16th was postponed by a week.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top