본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

UK 'Half-Price Dining' Support Was It Worth It?..."Contributed to COVID-19 Resurgence"

"Up to 17% of Cluster Infections Estimated to Be Linked to Dining Support Program"... Ministry of Finance Says "No Correlation"

UK 'Half-Price Dining' Support Was It Worth It?..."Contributed to COVID-19 Resurgence" Photo of the dining expense support program posted at a restaurant in downtown London Photo by Yonhap News

[Asia Economy Reporter Nahana] An analysis has emerged that the UK government's support for pubs, cafes, and restaurants struggling due to the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) and its leadership in dining-out discounts actually led to the spread of COVID-19.


Earlier, as COVID-19 somewhat subsided and lockdown measures were eased, the UK government launched the 'Eat Out To Help Out' program for the month of August, where from Monday to Wednesday each week, the government covered half of the dining-out expenses, up to a maximum of 10 pounds (about 15,000 won) per person, to encourage people to return to their daily lives.


A research team from the University of Warwick analyzed the correlation between the 'Eat Out To Help Out' program and COVID-19 cluster infections, Sky News reported on the 30th (local time).


The study estimated that cluster infections began to occur in various places starting one week after the program was implemented.


The research team specifically analyzed that 8 to 17% of newly detected cluster infections were related to the dining-out support program.


In particular, it was found that regions with good weather had higher COVID-19 infection rates than regions with heavy rainfall, which was analyzed as a result of more dining out during good weather.


Dr. Timo Fletcher, who participated in the study, said, "This program influenced not only local infections but also accelerated the resurgence of COVID-19."


Some pointed out that although restaurant sales increased by 10% to up to 200% compared to the same period last year due to 'Eat Out To Help Out,' the effect did not last after the support was discontinued.


Toby Phillips from Oxford University, who is tracking the COVID-19 response process, criticized, "The government urged people to go out and restore daily life this month and then imposed restrictions the very next month." He added, "Subsidies should not be given for people gathering indoors."


Earlier, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson acknowledged that 'Eat Out To Help Out' may have had some impact on the spread of COVID-19.


In an interview with BBC, he said, "If this plan helped the virus spread, it is necessary to respond with proposed regulations and measures."


On the other hand, the Treasury Department, which led the dining-out support plan, drew a line by stating there is no correlation with virus spread.


A Treasury spokesperson said, "As revealed in the study, such figures are rough estimates and difficult to accept," adding, "Many European countries are experiencing an increase in confirmed cases regardless of whether measures to support the hospitality industry are introduced."


Meanwhile, the UK's daily new confirmed cases have reached the 20,000 range on average since last week. According to UK government statistics, the number of new confirmed cases reported on the 30th (local time) reached 24,405.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top