본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

North Korea Announces Leaflet Distribution... Ministry of Unification Calls It a Clear Violation of the Panmunjom Declaration

"Both North and South Need Efforts to Comply with Inter-Korean Agreements"
"North's Disclosure of Decision-Making Process Is Highly Unusual"

North Korea Announces Leaflet Distribution... Ministry of Unification Calls It a Clear Violation of the Panmunjom Declaration On the afternoon of the 15th, marking the 20th anniversary of the June 15 North-South Joint Declaration amid strained inter-Korean relations, a North Korean People's Army soldier is guarding a post in Kaepung County, Hwanghaebuk-do, North Korea, as seen from the Peace Observatory in Ganghwa County, Incheon.


Regarding North Korea's announcement on the 16th that it will redeploy troops to areas demilitarized by inter-Korean agreements and resume leaflet (pira) distribution toward the South, the Ministry of Unification stated that this clearly violates the Panmunjom Declaration.


On the day, a Ministry of Unification official told reporters that although the North Korean General Staff's statement had not yet resulted in actual (leaflet distribution) action, "If leaflets are sent to the South, it can be clearly seen as a violation of the Panmunjom Declaration." The official added, "Both the South and the North need to make efforts to comply with inter-Korean agreements."


When asked where the 'demilitarized areas' that the North plans to redeploy troops to are located, the official explained that it is difficult to predict. Experts mention Kaesong, Mount Kumgang, Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Guard Posts (GP), and the Joint Security Area (JSA) as possibilities.


The Ministry of Unification official said, "Mount Kumgang and Kaesong could also be candidate sites," but added, "We need to observe the North's actions to know specifically where."


The Ministry of Unification is paying attention to the fact that North Korea revealed its decision-making process in this announcement. The General Staff stated in the announcement that it did not directly or immediately announce plans but said it had 'received opinions' from relevant departments such as the Party Central Committee and the United Front Department.


The Ministry of Unification official explained, "(North Korea) revealing its internal decision-making process step by step is very unusual," adding, "Compared to our case, usually only the results of decision-making are announced, not the process at each stage."


Regarding Vice Minister Seo Ho's visit to areas planned for leaflet distribution, the official explained, "It was conducted to directly hear the opinions of local residents." The official emphasized, "The government views the leaflet distribution toward the North as an existing threat that affects the lives and property of residents in border areas."


Regarding North Korea's announcement to dismantle facilities such as the Kaesong Industrial Complex and Mount Kumgang tourism facilities, the official said there has been no notification or separate contact from the North so far.


Meanwhile, the North Korean People's Army General Staff, in a statement released in the form of a 'public report' by the Korean Central News Agency on the same day, said, "We have received opinions from the Party Central Committee United Front Department and departments related to hostile relations to study action plans to redeploy troops to demilitarized zones according to inter-Korean agreements, fortify the front lines, and strengthen military vigilance against the South."


They also announced plans to distribute leaflets toward the South. The General Staff said, "We have also received opinions to open many areas of the ground front and the southwestern sea, take thorough safety measures, and actively cooperate in the anticipated large-scale anti-South leaflet distribution struggle by our people from all walks of life."


The People's Army General Staff is the organization equivalent to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff and exercises military command over all North Korean military operations. This announcement can be seen as a follow-up to the statements made by Kim Yo-jong, the First Deputy Director of the Workers' Party, on the 4th and 13th of this month.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top