Final Review Committee Decides to Cancel Water Festival After Military and Civilian Survey
Jangheung County held a final review meeting on the 1st and decided to cancel the Water Festival. (Photo by Jangheung County)
[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Seo Young-seo] The "13th Jeongnamjin Jangheung Water Festival," scheduled for August 1, has been canceled due to the impact of COVID-19.
Jangheung County (Governor Jeong Jong-sun) and the Jeongnamjin Jangheung Water Festival Promotion Committee (Chairman Kim Hyeong-cheol) announced on the 2nd that they held a final review meeting on the 1st and decided to cancel the water festival.
The county conducted a telephone survey (ARS) with county officials and residents from July 26 to 29 regarding the previously divided opinions on whether to hold the water festival.
The survey results showed that although the water festival has a significant impact on the local economy, the majority favored cancellation to prevent the spread of COVID-19, leading the Promotion Committee to make the final decision to cancel.
This year's water festival was scheduled to be held for nine days from August 1 to 9, two days longer than last year.
The extended period included two weekends, raising high expectations among local residents for revitalizing the local economy.
Chairman Kim Hyeong-cheol said, "The 13th Jeongnamjin Jangheung Water Festival planned a new attempt to extend the festival period to nine days for the first time this year, but it is very regrettable that we had to cancel it due to the inability to overcome the COVID-19 situation."
Governor Jeong Jong-sun of Jangheung County said, "It is unfortunate to cancel the water festival, but it was an unavoidable decision as the health of the people is the top priority. Although the 2020 water festival is canceled, we will prepare a larger-scale festival in 2021 through the development of festival content."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

