본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Prime Minister Jeong Sye-gyun to Lead On-Site Command in Daegu and Gyeongbuk from the 25th: "Limit Mask Exports, Prioritize Domestic Use" (Comprehensive)

"Judged Necessary to Take Preemptive Measures Due to Potential Nationwide Spread"
On Postponement of April 15 General Election: "It Will Have to Proceed as Scheduled"
Cho Se-young, First Vice Foreign Minister: "Plan to Gather Embassy Officials on the 25th to Explain Korean Government Measures and Request Cooperation"

Prime Minister Jeong Sye-gyun to Lead On-Site Command in Daegu and Gyeongbuk from the 25th: "Limit Mask Exports, Prioritize Domestic Use" (Comprehensive) Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun is delivering a speech at the Expanded Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting for COVID-19 response held on the 21st at the Seoul Situation Center of the Central Disaster and Safety Situation Room in the Government Seoul Office Building, Jongno-gu, Seoul. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun will head directly to the Daegu and Gyeongbuk regions, where confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) are rapidly increasing, after concluding the Cabinet meeting on the 25th to take direct command.


On the afternoon of the 24th, Prime Minister Chung held a press conference at the Government Seoul Office and stated, "Since the latter part of last week, community transmission has begun centered on specific regions and groups, and there is a possibility of nationwide spread, so I judge that preemptive measures are necessary," adding, "After finishing the Cabinet meeting tomorrow morning, I plan to go to the field and take direct command."


He also announced measures regarding mask supply, stating that export volumes will be limited to ensure there are no supply issues. Prime Minister Chung said, "We will utilize a large portion domestically and supply half of the production volume to actual users through the public distribution network," and added, "Especially, masks needed by medical personnel will be supplied 100% without any disruption." The government’s revised measures containing these details are expected to be approved at the Cabinet meeting on the morning of the 25th.


Regarding the proposal to postpone the April 15 general election, he expressed that it is institutionally difficult. Prime Minister Chung explained, "I don’t think there has ever been a postponement of a general election so far," and said, "We cannot create a state without a legislative body, and even if the election is postponed, there is no way to extend the term of the 20th National Assembly members, so I think the election must be held as scheduled."


Additionally, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans to actively explain the Korean government’s quarantine efforts to ambassadors of various countries on the 25th to prevent excessive entry restrictions on Koreans.


At the press conference that day, Cho Se-young, First Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, regarding measures such as Israel, Bahrain, and Jordan banning entry from Korea, said, "The best direction is to try to prevent such measures from expanding as much as possible," and explained, "The Korean government has an effective and strong quarantine system and a willingness for early containment, and I have instructed all diplomatic missions to explain this to their host countries."


He added, "On the 25th, we plan to gather officials from various embassies at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain again the contents of the measures taken by the Korean government, and to request cooperation and understanding."


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top