본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Assemblyman Kim Hoe-jae, "Very Regrettable Concession at COP28, Betraying the Wishes of Jeonnam and Gyeongnam Residents"

Approved even as a preliminary plan, the government’s contradictory decision requires a clear explanation

Yeosu-centered South Coast Southern Middle Region to unite efforts for a climate crisis response leading city

Assemblyman Kim Hoe-jae, "Very Regrettable Concession at COP28, Betraying the Wishes of Jeonnam and Gyeongnam Residents"


[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters, Reporter Heo Seon-sik] Kim Hoe-jae, a member of the Democratic Party of Korea (Yeosu-eul, Jeonnam), expressed strong regret on the 20th over the government's concession of hosting the 28th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP28) in 2023 to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).


In a statement released that day, Rep. Kim said, "Due to the government's sudden change of position and concession, the hopes of the residents of Jeonnam and Gyeongnam, which have continued for 13 years, have been shattered overnight," adding, "I strongly express regret over this decision that disregards the people and diminishes the nation's pride."


COP28 was first proposed for hosting in the South Sea Southern Central Region by 12 cities and counties of Jeonnam and Gyeongnam 13 years ago. Following this proposal and request, the government approved the domestic hosting of COP28 as a national plan in July last year.


President Moon Jae-in also repeatedly expressed his will to host COP28 in 2023, including at the 'P4G Seoul Summit' in May, the keynote speech at the United Nations General Assembly in New York in September, and the 4th Asia-Pacific Environment Ministers Forum on October 7.


Rep. Kim stated, "Nevertheless, within just 10 days, the government's position changed 180 degrees," and added, "Regarding this sudden change of stance, the government must provide a clear explanation that the public can accept."


He particularly criticized, "When it was confirmed as a national plan, the 12 cities and counties, including Jeonnam and Gyeongnam residents, welcomed it greatly. If the government gave up hosting COP28 to secure the 2030 Busan Expo, it has betrayed the hopes of the two provinces' residents."


He pointed out that the government made a contradictory decision despite confirming it as a national plan, thereby undermining national trust and abandoning national pride.


Furthermore, Rep. Kim said, "Despite the failure to host COP28, the South Sea Southern Central Region centered on Yeosu will continue to unite all its capabilities to leap forward as a 'leading city in climate crisis response,'" urging the government to clearly state its position, including reflecting this in the presidential election pledges.


Rep. Kim expressed, "I deeply apologize and sincerely thank all local governments, including Seoul, Gyeonggi-do, and Gangwon-do, who have supported and empowered the hosting of COP28 in the South Sea Southern Central Region," and added, "Together with the citizens of Yeosu and the 12 cities and counties of the South Sea Southern Central Region, we will do our best to realize the dream of becoming a leading area in climate crisis response so that this precious support is not in vain."


Meanwhile, on the 18th, the government shifted its policy to concede COP28, which it had been pursuing to host, to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), which had been competing within the Asia-Pacific region, in exchange for hosting the 33rd conference (COP33).



Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters, Reporter Heo Seon-sik hss79@asiae.co.kr


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top