본문 바로가기
bar_progress

Text Size

Close

Afghan School Bombing... Over 200 Casualties, Majority of Victims Female Students

Criticism of Unforgivable Attack Immediately After US Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan
Afghan President Condemns Taliban... Taliban Denies and Condemns Terrorism

[Asia Economy International Desk Reporter] On the 8th (local time), a car bomb attack occurred near a school in the western part of Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, resulting in at least 55 deaths and over 150 injuries. Authorities stated that most of the victims were students, with a particularly high number of female students among them.


The attack took place shortly after U.S. President Joe Biden announced that the withdrawal of U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan would be completed by September 11, and the withdrawal began on the 1st.


Afghan School Bombing... Over 200 Casualties, Majority of Victims Female Students [Image source=AP Yonhap News]


An official spokesperson for the Afghan Ministry of Interior stated that the official death toll is at least 30, with 52 injured.

Local TV showed chaotic scenes with students' books and bags scattered across blood-stained roads, and residents busily helping the victims.


A witness said, "There was a car bomb explosion in front of the school gate," and added that except for 7 to 8 victims, all were female students who were heading home after finishing classes.


Afghan President Ashraf Ghani pointed to the Taliban as responsible for the attack. He said, "The Taliban have once again shown that they are unwilling to resolve the crisis peacefully and fundamentally by expanding illegal war and violence, complicating the situation."


However, the Taliban denied involvement in the incident and instead condemned it. A Taliban spokesperson claimed that the responsibility for this heinous crime lies solely with the extremist terrorist organization 'Islamic State' (IS).


The Pakistani government, which has considerable influence over the Taliban and is pressuring them to agree to resume peace talks and a ceasefire, also condemned the attack.


Ross Wilson, Acting U.S. Ambassador to Kabul, posted on Twitter, strongly criticizing, "This unforgivable attack on children is an attack on the future of Afghanistan and is unacceptable."


Former U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by May 1 of this year through negotiations with the Taliban last year, and President Biden later announced that the withdrawal would be completed by September 11, marking the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.


No group has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing attack.


© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Special Coverage


Join us on social!

Top